Wednesday, January 23, 2008

2008 NFL Draft

My good friend Raleigh Watson, whose blog "Just Football" can be found in my BlogRoll to the right, objects the notion that LSU DT Glen Dorsey is the right man for the Miami Dolphins' No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Instead, Raleigh feels that "With Cleo Lemon as my starting QB, I think I would take Matt Ryan." While I have to agree to disagree, that did get me thinking. I don't think you could go wrong with adding a quarterback like Matt Ryan. That is, of course, is under the assumpution that they see him playing right away. But if I were the Dolphins, I'd do my best to fix a defense that is just plain awful.

And I wouldn't be so quick to hate on Lemon. Now, I know he's not the most trendy option at QB. But his rating nearly matched that of Super Bowl singal caller Eli Manning. Granted, Manning threw the ball 220 more times than did Lemon, but he got much better protection, had a running game and far more options to throw to. Lemon was sacked 25 times in 309 attempts. The guy can't do much when he spends the season running for his life. Therefore, with no offensive linemen in the draft that are worth the No. 1 selection, I see the Dolphins filling their other obvious void: run defense. Raleigh pointed out the Dolphins played a 3-4 defense and that Dorsey was best used as an interior lineman. True. But you have to think that the team would take a strong look at a new scheme after allowing 153 yards per game last year, one that would allow them to use Dorsey to help stop the run.

And Raleigh, you said Dorsey was risky because of his knee injury. Just remember that they said the same thing about Adrian Peterson. Honestly, I think there are very few picks that don't come with an exhorbitant amount of risk.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Raleigh in this one Perez Staton - Dorsey is overrated and certainly not worth the number 1 pick. His knees gave out, and didn't look very impressive in the championship game. I agree that the Dolphins need help on both sides of the ball, but more importantly the need help on their old-ass defense. Tuna won't draft a RB in the 1st round & he prefers vet QBs (see Bledsoe & Testaverde). My guess is that he moves the pick for more 1st rounders to beef up his defense, and takes a wait-and-see approach with John Beck. If he doesn't move the pick, expect Chris Long or Jake Long to be taken with the 1st pick. They need help on both sides of the DEF and OFF lines. I just don't think Dorsey will be their choice. Keep on updating your blog, maybe one day I won't be the only one reading it.

-Byrdman JR

Brandon Staton said...

He didn't look impressive in the championship game because he was double-teamed the whole game, just like he was all season. Despite that, he still had the third most tackles on the nation's No. 1 team and had 8.5 takles for a loss to go with three sacks. He's good against the run or the pass and at 310 lbs. has the speed to run down ball carriers.

Unknown said...

write about something perez would blog about...