Monday, June 9, 2008

Relax, I'm back

OK people, sorry for the lack of posts. I know I got famous and all. I used the $6.07 in ad revenue and went on vacation. Actually, I've been working my ass off. That doesn't mean that I don't have anything you need to know. So stay tuned.

Congratulations to the North Carolina baseball team. Third-straight trip to Omaha. I was fortunate enough to follow them there in 2006. Never thought they'd make it in 2007 and would have put money against them doing the same in 2008. Fortunately, a) I never put that in writing and b) they made me look bad, 'cuz let's face it: I like having a reason to watch a baseball game. We'll see how the bracket unfolds, but the way Carolina is playing now, makes them the favorite again if you ask me.

As far as this whole Ty Lawson DWI situation, it's a foregone conclusion now that he's outta here. Of course, we've known that all along. While part of me thinks he's an idiot, there is an even bigger part of me that's a fan. I mean, I don't know a lot about what goes on behind closed doors, but on the floor, the kid can play and will play in the NBA. It sounds as if he's worked his way into the first round and I'm thinking he's gone at No. 20 to George Karl's Denver Nuggets.

But as far as his incident with the law, I've tried to keep things in perspective. J.J. Reddick was arguably the greatest player in Duke history. Same thing happened to him. Now, Lawson is no chump, but he's not the face of the program either. I'm willing to bet that I come from more money that he does (and I don't come from much), and I know for a fact that if I'm about to land in the first round, I'm probably gonna make a bad decision or two. I'd like to think that I wouldn't make that kind of decision, but I can't put myself on the pedestal. The concerns that Ty Lawson has expressed in regard to the treatment he has received since announcing his intentions are perfectly understandable. Why, after all the excitement that he's brought to the program, has the town decided to make a mockery of him rather than wish him well? His indictment did little to support his case, but I understand his frustration.

Ty, get your head screwed on straight and do you.

OK, I'm at work. I'll keep more frequent updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brandon

Welcome back. What are you hearing, about Ellington and Green? Are they staying in the draft?